EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF PALISADES VILLAGE
Palisades Village (PV) is a community of members, volunteers, and supporters focused on helping older adults age well while living independently. PV provides inter-generational opportunities to socialize, learn, exercise, volunteer, and enjoy life while building a strong community in the Berkley, Foxhall, Kent, Palisades, Spring Valley, and Wesley Heights neighborhoods of Washington, D.C.
PV is a 501c3, nonprofit membership organization that enables members to celebrate the opportunities and meet the challenges of aging in the community. Using an active roster of volunteers, we support each other through a combination of social, cultural, and wellness activities; neighbor-to-neighbor services, and information and resources. There is currently one other full-time employee.
Under the direction of the Board of Directors, the Executive Director of PV is responsible for managing all aspects of the organization. The Executive Director provides leadership and support for the Board and its committees to complete strategic planning, identify staffing needs, and engage in member and volunteer recruitment together with marketing and public relations to build the organization. The Executive Director also provides leadership and support for fundraising, communications, and outreach activities of the Board. The Executive Director is responsible for the overall continued financial management, operations, and protection of the organization and its financial assets. The Executive Director reports to the President of the Board of Directors and has supervisory responsibility for staff and in-office volunteers.
This is a full-time position and involves some evening, weekend and irregular work hours. The salary range is $64,000-74,000.
- Manage all programmatic and financial aspects of the organization, including recruitment of members, oversight of a high-quality service delivery program, development and management of social, cultural and education activities, and oversight of the budget.
- Work with the Finance Committee, Treasurer and staff to oversee all financial and accounting functions, including budgets, financial analysis, payroll, etc.
- Oversee the recruitment, vetting, training, placement and oversight of volunteers.
- Provide leadership and support for the Board of Directors on strategic planning, and implementation and evaluation of goals and objectives of the organization.
- Provide leadership and support for working committees and task forces of the Board.
- Manage personnel, including but not limited to, hiring, terminating, suggesting policies, etc. for employees and volunteers engaged in supporting the administration of the organization.
- Cultivate relations with new and existing community partners including other villages, government agencies, private companies, vendors, networks, donors, funders and other key stakeholders to promote the Village and foster strong collaborations.
- Advocate with members and older residents to ensure that the PV community has the tools and resources necessary to support successful, safe and healthy aging.
- At least 2-3 years of experience serving in an Executive Director or senior role at a non-profit organization focused on social services, health, or other similar mission-based work.
- A strong commitment to and knowledge of the needs of older adults, including, ideally, experience in working with them in community-based programs.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and achieve program objectives, foster teamwork among staff and volunteers, and properly make and implement tough decisions.
- Ability to maximize limited resources, develop organizational and, when appropriate, program budgets, and forecast and control variances.
- Understanding of and ability to interpret and explain financial documents.
- Leader who enjoys working collaboratively with active volunteers; record of accomplishment in working with volunteers, including a hands-on board of directors.
- Proven ability to raise funds.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; effective as a public speaker.
- A creative thinker and innovative problem solver.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and high ethical standards.
- Enjoys social, recreational, and educational events with older people.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite and, ideally, with social media, Quickbooks (or similar software).
- Willingess and ability to work nights, weekends, or other irregular hours; ability to travel locally to attend meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; master’s degree in gerontology, social work, public health, or related field preferred.
- Ideally, deep knowledge of the PV neighborhoods, DC funders, and potential organizational partners.
- Previous experience at a Village or other membership organization is a plus.
To apply: Submit cover letter and resume (ideally in one PDF) with the subject line “PV ED Application-your last name” to board member Susan Messina at email@example.com by September 17, 2021.
TEMPORARY PART-TIME ADMINISTRATIVE HELP
A part-time temporary office assistant is needed to help run the small but busy Palisades Village office. The assistant will assist with the day-to-day operations of the Village. We are looking for someone who can answer the phone and assist callers, coordinate Village volunteers to help our members; help with Village communications including the weekly newsletter, website, and social media; help with event logistics, and other general administrative duties as assigned.
Criteria for Candidate
- Excellent interpersonal skills (Experience working with older adults a plus).
- Be a self-starter, detail-oriented, organized, patient, and have a strong respect for confidentiality.
- Computer literate in Microsoft Office Suite products including Word and Excel, database use, Zoom, Google docs, email, and social media (Facebook).
- Willingness to learn software like Mailchimp.
This is a temporary position starting as early as September 10, 2021.
Hours: Hours are flexible, generally 20 hours per week. Ideally candidate is able to work Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.
Pay: $20-25 / hour
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.